Are you looking for new ways to inspire your students and enhance their learning? Would you like to gain a greater understanding of case teaching and the prerequisites for success? Are you keen to hone your planning, preparation and case selection skills? On this practical, interactive workshop, you'll have the opportunity to learn from a highly knowledgeable practitioner with extensive international case teaching experience.
September 2, 2013
Fundação Dom Cabral, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
« Go to Upcoming Event List
Learn how to engage students and get the most out of your case study discussions. Martin Kupp will lead this interactive workshop on using cases to teach management education.
The case method is widely recognised as an outstanding approach to teaching and learning, especially in management education. This workshop will provide case teachers with the opportunity to explore the case method and assess its benefits for use in their own classes. The tutor will introduce practical tips and skills for teaching with cases and will provide guidance on case selection and instructor preparation for class. Participants will gain confidence and share experiences in a supportive environment.
This workshopwill be of benefit to:
- those wishing to reflect on their teaching
- faculty and trainers
- those interested in participatory learning
- those from any sector or discipline within management education.
- gain practical insights into teaching with cases
- understand prerequisites for case teaching
- appreciate planning and preparation
- consider student expectations
- explore course design and case selection
- evaluate success factors for any given audience.
This workshop will be facilitated by Martin Kupp. Martin is Associate Professor for Entrepreneurship at ESCP Europe, Paris and Visiting Professor at EGP Business School in Portugal and the European School of Management and Technology, Berlin.View Martin's full profile
- The background case
- The case as storytelling
Why use case studies?
- Learning pedagogy and participant centred learning
- Case study styles
- How to prepare for a case-based session
- Choreography for discussion-based teaching
- How to source case studies
Teaching a case-based session – participant practice
- Opening the session
- Guiding the discussion, following up on topics
- Moving from topic to topic, timing
- Handling special challenges
Designing a case-based course
- Applying the principles of discussion-based learning to a full course
- Action plans, open forum, feedback
Please note that the programme may be subject to small changes.
Fees include course materials and lunches. Our member organisations receive 10% discount.
Depending on your organisation you may be eligible for an additional discount. The level of discount ranges from 40% to 60% and is calculated according to the level ofMBA tuition fees set by your university.
Discount for attending Writing Cases
The Writing Cases workshop will be held at the same location, directly after Using Cases to Teach. A discounted rate is offered to participants attending both workshops: $680 non-residential.
Fundação Dom Cabral is a development centre for executives, entrepreneurs and public managers, which for the past 35 years has been committed to dialoguing and listening to organisations, and building integrated educational solutions alongside them. It is focused on creating a team that will critically and strategically interact within companies.
FDC have recommended the following hotels close to the venue, however there are many other good ones close to Leblon where the workshop will take place so you may wish to investigate further.