Do you have a great idea for a case but aren't sure how to go about writing it? Do you want to build on your case writing expertise and develop new skills? Are you a business-based trainer interested in using cases for employee development? This intensive, hands-on workshop will give you the chance to gain invaluable insights and knowledge from an internationally respected case writing expert.
9/3/2013 to 9/4/2013
September 3-4, 2013
Fundação Dom Cabral, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
+44 (0)1234 756423
« Go to Upcoming Event List
In this practical and intensive workshop inexperienced case writers will get the opportunity to take time out to work on an idea they already have for a case. The skills and knowledge acquired during this workshop will enable them to develop their own teaching cases.
This workshopwill be of benefit to:
- faculty from any academic discipline who have little experience of writing cases for teaching purposes
- those who are keen to begin writing cases or wish to enhance their case writing skills
- business based trainers interested in preparing their own material for employee development.
During the workshop participants will work in groups of ‘critical friends’ to prepare their case draft, teaching plan and teaching note. In doing so, the principal objectives that participants will address are to:
- appreciate what makes a good case and the benefits of a teaching note
- develop the confidence to write their own cases
- learn tools and techniques of case crafting to enhance the quality of the learning experience of their students.
This workshop will be facilitated by Martin Kupp. Martin is Associate Professor for Entrepreneurship at ESCP Europe, Paris and Visiting Professor at EGP Business School in Portugal and the European School of Management and Technology, Berlin.View Martin's full profile
3 September 2013
- Teaching and learning using the case method
- What makes a good case study?
- Obstacles to case writing
- Sources of case data
- Exercise 1:review ofBoschcase study
- Case writing and case structures
- Review of case openings
- Exercise 2:individual work on opening paragraphs
- Group review of case openings
- Exercise 3: individual work on case structure
- Discussion of case structure with ‘critical friend’
- The case teaching note
- Exercise 4:review of teaching note forBoschcase study
4 September 2013
- Reflections from day one
- Review of closing paragraphs
- Exercise 5:individual work on closing paragraph
- Group review of closing paragraphs
- Publication of cases via The Case Centre
- Exercise 6:individual work on case teaching plans
- Presentations of teaching plans
- Case enhancement
- Action plans
- Open forum
Please note that the programme may be subject to small changes.
Fees include course materials and lunches. Our member organisations receive 10% discount.
Depending on your organisation you may be eligible for an additional discount. The level of discount ranges from 40% to 60% and is calculated according to the level ofMBA tuition fees set by your university.An optional social dinner will be held on 3 September for an additional cost of $55.
Discount for attending Using Cases to Teach
TheUsing Cases to Teachworkshop will be held at the same location, directly beforeWriting Cases. A discounted rate is offered to participants attending both workshops: $680 non-residential.
Fundação Dom Cabral is a development centre for executives, entrepreneurs and public managers, which for the past 35 years has been committed to dialoguing and listening to organisations, and building integrated educational solutions alongside them. It is focused on creating a team that will critically and strategically interact within companies.
FDC have recommended the following hotels close to the venue, however there are many other good ones close to Leblon where the workshop will take place so you may wish to investigate further.