Extension 5: San Sebastian, Spain
Friday, September 19th, 2014
- Crowdfunding and Entrepreneurship
The day will consist of diverse dialogue in multiple formats, discussing crowdfunding from research and practice perspectives. Besides connecting different researchers currently working on the topic with each other and with practitioners, the event will survey the current crowdfunding landscape. In doing so it will provide a forum to discuss (and refine) emerging work, and debate the opportunity that crowdfunding presents (for research and practice). The proposed organization is detailed below.
To provide concrete insight and discussion of emerging work, researchers (academic and applied) will be asked to submit a brief summary of work-in-process – that, if selected, they will provide a 4-5 minute overview of during the event. While we welcome all interested individuals to attend this event, for a relatively intimate and focused discussion, participation will be capped at approximately 30 registrants with preference given to those indicating activity (research or practice) in crowdfunding.
The event features multiple times for participants to personally discuss their work and interest with each other (over lunch, during breakout sessions, over dinner). The proposed format is intended to provide both structured overall discussion, also with the opportunity for participants to develop relationships and exchange ideas with others of similar focused interests.
The Madrid Conference Extension at Deusto San Sebastian will bring together a panel of scholars of various perspectives and experiences as well as prominent researchers interested in crowdfunding. This extension pursues two main objectives: First, to discuss and develop topical and future research avenues of crowdfunding. Second, to enable networking and to spur the exchange of thoughts and individual experiences both, about and beyond the theme.
Individuals interested in attending should send cover-page and brief statement including the information below requested below. If currently engaged in research (or practice) related to the topic, also include a synopsis as specified. Proposals should be sent to email@example.com. Please send as a single .DOC or .PDF file, specifying SMS 2014 Crowdfunding Pre-Conference in the subject line. We are able to accept up to 40 participants for this workshop.
On the first page please specify:
- Name, Title, Contact Information, and Institutional affiliation;
- A statement explaining your interest in crowdfunding, and any previous work related to the topic;
- For academics, please indicate your experience publishing in and reviewing for top-tier research journals (irrespective of the crowdfunding topic);
- 3 – 6 keywords on your interest or expertise related to the topic.
- Optional: a short bio (less than 100 words) with contact email, for an attendee list to be shared with fellow attendees.
If currently engaged in research (or practice) on crowdfunding, on a second page include:
- Up to 500 words on your current research (or practice) in area;
- The title of any working, conference, or published papers on the topic;
- Title, abstract, and key-words of any work-in-progress you could present briefly at the event; CV.
For additional details related to onsite logistics and local information, please click here.
Workshop Extension (this is tentative and subject to change)
- Thursday, September 18th, 2014
- Individual arrival in San Sebastian
- Optional Program
- 17:00 - 19:30
- Short City Tour
- 20:00 - 22:00
- * Dinner with Practitioners
- Friday, September 19th, 2014
- 8:15 - 8:50
- Continental breakfast buffet
- 9:00 - 9:45
- Welcome and Introductions
- 9:45 - 10:15
- Keynote Speaker 1: The Phenomena and Practice
- 10:15 - 10:45
- Keynote 2: Crowdfunding Research – Sate of Knowledge, the Opportunity
- 10:45 - 11:00
- Q&A of Keynote Speakers
- 11:00 - 11:15
- 11:15 - 11:35
- “The Skeptic”
- 11:35 - 12:45
- Research Overviews
- 12:45 - 1:00
- Integrative Comments
- 1:00 - 2:30
- 2:30 - 3:45
- Breakout Sessions
- 3:45 - 4:00
- 4:00 - 5:00
- Interactive Panel/Group Discussion
- 5:00 - 5:30
- Breakout II
- 5:30 - 6:00
- Concluding remarks
- * Meet for Dinner in San Sebastian
* not included in registration fee
A registration fee of US$ 105 per participant will be charged to cover expenses. Please note, SMS members will receive a $20 reduction. Online registration will open in mid-April.