HESN TechCon 2014 is a unique convening of academics, students, development experts, field practitioners and the private sector focused on innovative approaches to solution creation, testing, scaling for international development. TechCon 2014 will showcase the innovations and innovators coming from within and outside of HESN’s Development Labs.
October 23 - Hotel Discount Expires
October 23 (or until capacity) - Registration Deadline
November 8-10 - TechCon 2014
Who will be there:
- Innovators and entrepreneurs
- Partners engaged in science, technology & innovation in international development
- Researchers and students from HESN Development Labs & affiliated institutions
- NGOs and foundations
- USAID leadership and staff
- Development partners including: field practitioners, social entrepreneurs, innovation experts, private sector professionals, and investors
What is HESN?
The Higher Education Solutions Network (HESN) is a partnership between the U.S. Global Development Lab and seven universities to create a rich network of HESN Development Labs. This network harnesses the ingenuity and passion of university students, researchers, faculty, and their partners to incubate, catalyze, and scale science and tech-based solutions to the world’s most challenging development problems. Our Lab partners are installing mobile base stations in remote villages to give previously isolated communities cell phone connectivity; they analyze public data in new ways to reveal successes and failures in development investments ; and they are teaching in-country entrepreneurs to develop and pitch their products on a global scale.
HESN is led by seven academic institutions: The College of William and Mary, MIT, Michigan State University, Duke University, the University of California, Berkeley, Texas A&M University, and Makerere University in Uganda. The network further consists of nearly one hundred additional partner universities and other organizations spread around the world.
To learn more about HESN, visit www.usaid.gov/hesn.
HESN’s Technical Convening (TechCon) 2014 is a unique convening of researchers and students, entrepreneurs and innovators, field practitioners, and private sector professionals focused on creative approaches to solution ideation, testing, and scaling for international development. TechCon 2014 will showcase the innovations emerging from the eight HESN Development Labs and the broader development and higher education communities focused on innovations for social good. TechCon 2014 will bring together these multisectoral stakeholders to energize science and technology solutions for development.
- Sessions and workshops for aspiring to mid-stage entrepreneurs, including interactive workshops building communication, pitching, and storytelling skills
- Opportunities to learn from industry experts and discuss development challenges with leading academics
- An interactive Innovation Marketplace where participants “invest” in new solutions, followed by a “Shark Tank” pitch competition
- TED–style keynotes and small group challenge sessions
- A networking reception and spontaneous “unconference” sessions
>> Click here to view the Agenda
>> Click here to learn about the Innovation Marketplace
>> Register Online
>> Click here for more information